The Sewing Machine and Me

I have decided I would like to be more crafty. ‘DIY’ crafty – not deceitfully crafty. I studied textiles at school and created all of the usual projects such as a cushion cover, a bag with The longest over-the-shoulder strap which surprisingly I wore a great deal and my GCSE masterpiece – a purple and green table runner with Shisha Glass galore.

My mum recently treated herself to a brand new, high-tech, ultra-modern sewing machine so I was very privileged to inherit the original machine she proudly purchased aged 21. It weighs an absolute tonne and occasionally gets upset at the smallest issue but I love it. I remembered the machine basics from my classes and my mum has taught me a few things along the way, so I thought I’d give it a go and attempt to make something from scratch. My first project was to make a new kindle case. My old one was very worn and rather disgusting. When I mentioned to my mum that I wanted to buy a new case, she very quickly planted the idea of ‘you could make one of them instead of buying one.’ And so this is what happened:

image image It was so simple to do and I absolutely love it. My mum pretty much held my hand the whole way so she definitely deserves the credit for this.

I’ve been really getting into the Great British Sewing Bee recently and I have been inspired to start making items which I can wear myself. I thought I would start off with an easy-ish project so I decided to set myself the challenge of creating an apron.



I know the two fabrics couldn’t clash any more if they tried but it was the only fabric available. And I’m not planning for it to travel any further than my kitchen anyway. I used an old apron as a guide for the size and cut the shapes by hand. I wanted to add the second fabric on the inside just to neaten everything up but it’s not really necessary. image The ties around the waist and neck have also been made out of the same material simply by folding a long strip of fabric in half so the right side of the material is in the inside. I then sewed along the edge and turned the fabric inside out. The key is making sure you use a fairly weighty fabric to withstand all of the uses of an apron. If I were to make it again there are areas I would do differently and perhaps attempt new techniques (maybe add a pocket) but for a first attempt I think it came out quite well.

And on a side note, I shall also work on improving my photography and editing…I know.


One thought on “The Sewing Machine and Me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s